Genesis of XCOMM
Xavier School of Communications or XCOMM is born with a vision to enhance knowledge and professionalism in the field of Mass Media in India and globally. Fr. Paul Fernandes SJ, Vice Chancellor of Xavier University Bhubaneswar and Director of Xavier Institute of Management Bhubaneswar & Fr. LourdurajIgnacimuthu SJ, Director of Xavier Institute of Communications, and Lievens’ Institute of Film & Electronic media, Ranchi collectively conceived this state-of-the art professional media school at Xavier University Bhubaneswar. The mission is to give aspiring students across the country an opportunity to pursue professional courses in mass media and making them employable. Inspired by the Jesuit ethos of community building via education, this dream of starting a school of communications took shape eventually and soon translated into reality. XCOMM was inaugurated by ArchitaSahoo (Odia Film Actress) and Amitabh Shukla (Film Editor) on July 2, 2015.
To empower the aspiring youth who joins XCOMM to be ethically sensitive, innovative and skillful media professionals contributing to global peace and harmony. In the process, it also strives to promote progressive trends in the areas of Communications and Research and envisages students to communicate life to people across the world.
- To enhance knowledge and professionalism in the field of Media and Communication,
- To promote ethical media practices and keep abreast with the changes of the time.
- To function as a center of excellence and to play a vital role in building a new media culture where life is respected and valued.
- To equip students with the necessary technical know-how of the high-end software and hardware, making them employable in the ever-evolving media industry.
- To facilitate a knowledge centre and repository of media research thereby contributing to knowledge sharing and community building.
Programs offered by XCOMM:
- M.A. Mass Communication (2 Years with 4 specializations: Print Journalism, Television production, Broadcast Journalism, and Advertising & Public Relations) – Intake: 60
- P.G. Diploma in Film & Television Production (1 Year with specializations in Directorial practices& Cinematography) – Intake: 40
- P.G. Diploma in Broadcast Journalism (1 Year with specializations in News Production, Anchoring & Online TV Production) – Intake: 40
- PG Diploma in Advertising & Marketing (1 Year with specializations in Advertising & Marketing) (to begin in 2016-17)
- PG Diploma in Public Relations & Corporate Communication (1 Year with specializations in Public Relations and Corporate Communication) (to begin in 2016-17)
- BA/BSc. Mass Communication (3 Years with 4 specializations: Print Journalism, Television production, Broadcast Journalism, and Script Writing) – Intake: 80
- PhD in Mass Communication